We all know that traveling in an RV is one of the best ways to explore the outdoors and take in the sights in a home away from home. But… the water from your RV? Is it safe to drink?
Well, that really depends on the source of your water and if it has been contaminated in any way prior to drinking.
Fortunately, there are many ways to filter your drinking water while camping. Berkey water filters offers a travel size so you take one with you while traveling in your RV or camper.
We bought our first Berkey the Fall of 2021, shortly after we hit the road in our RV full-time. We’ve been using our travel Berkey water filter religiously ever since and we love it! Mostly…
In this review, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of the travel Berkey water filter, including portability, speed of filtration, and if the price is worth it.
What is a Travel Berkey Water Filter?
The travel Berkey water filter is a semi-portable water filtration system that is perfect for use in small spaces or when camping in an RV. Berkey filters remove a wide range of impurities, including bacteria, viruses, and heavy metals, making it a great choice for use in areas where the water quality might be questionable.
Should You Consider Buying a Travel Berkey Water Filter?
Before you spend the next few minutes of your time reading about the amazing features and benefits of using a travel Berkey to filter your household water, let’s discuss if it’s even something you should consider buying first.
Reasons Not to Get a Berkey Water Filter for Traveling
There are a few reasons why someone may not want to get a Berkey water filter for traveling.
- UPFRONT COST: A Berkey water filter can be quite expensive if you only go RVing occasionally and don’t intend to use it in your home when you aren’t camping.
- LARGE FAMILY: A travel Berkey only holds about 1.5 gallons of water. If you have a large family or a lot of fur babies that will be drinking this water, you may find yourself in a constant state of refilling your Berkey.
- Side note: We have four in our family plus a cat, and this size suits us fine. Though, if we weren’t living in an RV full-time, we’d likely opt for a larger system.
- SAFE WATER: If you have access to clean and safe water, you probably won’t need a Berkey. We use one because water from campgrounds can be suspect. Ever seen brown water coming from your campsite spigot? Not to mention possible contamination from black water and RV sewer hoses.
- TASTE: Prefer the taste of bottled water? Then a Berkey will likely not be for you. Though, with proper maintenance, there is no taste to water filtered by Berkey. It felt “soft” at first but we’ve gotten used to that.
- CLUNKY REFILL: Some do not enjoy the refill process for a Berkey. For a travel Berkey, you’ll need to fill a gallon jug with water and take that to the Berkey to fill it or have your Berkey near your sink. Otherwise, it can be a bit cumbersome to use. It’s not a filter for your backpack that’s for sure!
If you can get past the reasons not to buy a small Berkey filter to travel with, then let’s dive in to all the benefits of using this water purification system in your RV!
Benefits of Using the Travel Berkey Water Purification System
There are several benefits to using the Travel Berkey water purification system:
Able to remove a wide range of impurities, including bacteria, viruses, and heavy metals, the Berkey water filter system is great choice for use in locations where the water quality is questionable. The Travel Berkey Water Filter is renowned for its advanced filtering capacity. This capacity is due to a multi-stage filtration system which includes a sediment filter, a carbon filter and a ceramic filter. The sediment filter is designed to remove sediment, silt, sand and rust particles from the water, while the carbon filter is designed to reduce chlorine, tastes, odors and other contaminants. The ceramic filter is designed to reduce bacteria, viruses, cysts, and parasites from the water. All of these filters work together to provide you with clean, safe, and great-tasting drinking water.
Lightweight, making it easy to take with you in your RV or camper. This system is especially useful for RV travelers who want to be able to filter water no matter where they go.
Built with durable materials that can withstand the wear and tear of travel. This makes it a great investment for anyone who is looking for a long-lasting water filtration system for their camper. Durability is one of the standout qualities of the Travel Berkey Water Filter. The full-size Berkey system has been around for over 20 years, and the travel Berkey is just as reliable. It is constructed from stainless steel, which is known for its durability and strength, and is designed to withstand the wear and tear of regular use. The filter elements are also designed to last for years and can be replaced when needed.
Ease of Use:
Easy to use and maintain. It has a simple design that makes it easy to set up and clean.
- Flexibility: Can be used with a variety of water sources, including lakes, rivers, and streams, making it a versatile option for travelers and RV boondockers.
- Independence: With a travel Berkey water filter, you don’t have to rely on buying bottled water or finding safe sources of water, it gives you the independence to have clean water wherever you go without worry.
- Cost Effectiveness: One of the great things about the Travel Berkey Water Filter is its cost-effectiveness. With a price tag of around $250, you get a highly efficient filter that can provide you with up to 6,000 gallons of clean drinking water, making a great value for your money. The filter itself is also incredibly easy to use and maintain, requiring just a few minutes each week for cleaning and maintenance. And with its small size, it’s perfect for taking on the road with you, ensuring that you always have access to clean drinking water no matter where you go.
Top Features of a Berkey Water Purifier for RVers
- High flow rate: Berkey water purifiers have a high flow rate, allowing RVers to quickly and easily purify large quantities of water.
- Easy to clean and low maintenance: Berkey water purifiers are easy to clean, ensuring that they remain effective over time.
- Long-lasting filters: Berkey water purifiers have long-lasting filters, which means they will need fewer replacements, saving money in the long run.
- Dual filtration system: Berkey water purifiers have a dual filtration system which includes a combination of ceramic and carbon elements, this means that it removes more contaminants than single-filtration systems.
- Low maintenance: Berkey water purifiers are low maintenance, meaning RVers can spend more time enjoying the road and less time maintaining their water purification system. The filter requires no electricity, and you only need to replace the filter elements once every 1,500 gallons or after 6 months of use, whichever comes first. The filter elements are easy to replace, and all you need to do is unscrew the top of the filter, take out the old elements, and insert the new ones. The filter also requires occasional backwashing to flush out any sediment that has built up in the filter, but this process is simple and only takes a few minutes.
Cons of the Travel Berkey Water Filter
- Price: The travel Berkey water filter is relatively expensive compared to other portable water purification options.
- Size: The travel Berkey is larger than some other portable water filters, which may make it less convenient to transport or store.
- Assembly: The travel Berkey requires assembly, which may be a bit complicated for some users.
- Replacement Filters: Sometimes the filters can be difficult to find, particularly the fluoride filters.
- Slow filtration: The travel Berkey may have a slower filtration rate than some other portable water purifiers, which may not be ideal for RVers who need to quickly purify large quantities of water. That being said, if your flow is extremely slow, it’s probably time to clean your filters! (Ask us how we know, haha).
- Requires a steady water supply: The travel Berkey requires a regular supply of water in order to be refilled, so it may not be the best option if you mostly travel to remote areas where access to water is hard to come by.
- Can overflow and leak: if you overfill the top chamber without enough room in the bottom chamber, your Berkey will leak. This can easily be avoided by filling up water bottles to empty the bottom chamber before you fill the top.
Where to Buy a Travel Berkey Water Filter
The travel Berkey water filter can be purchased from a variety of retailers, including:
- The Berkey official website: Berkey offers the widest range of their products, including the Travel Berkey water filter.
- Online retailers such as Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes
- Specialty outdoor and camping retailers such as REI, Cabela’s, and Bass Pro Shops
- Local water filter or camping supply stores
It is important to ensure that you are purchasing from an authorized dealer to ensure that you receive a genuine product that can purify water and Berkey’s warranty.
Our Overall Review of the Travel Berkey Water Filter for RV Campers
The travel Berkey water filter is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a durable yet easy-to-use filtration system. Constructed with high-quality materials and its performance is impressive, offering safe, great tasting drinking water no matter where your RV camping travels take you.
The filter system is relatively easy to set up, use, and maintain compared to similar water filters. The initial investment is a little steep but given that the filters last for YEARS, you end up paying mere pennies for your freshly filtered RV drinking water. This makes it worth it in our book, especially if you travel a LOT or full-time. We highly recommend the travel Berkey purification system to clean your water on the go.