Some of the links below may be affiliate links, which means we will earn a commission on the products or services you purchase using the links. There is no additional cost to you and the earnings help keep this website running. Read the Affiliate Disclaimer for more information.
Do you own a small business? Check! Do you like free marketing? Check! (I mean, who doesn’t right?)
How about meeting new people and sharing stories all while generating more revenue selling your products and services? Double Check!
Then you might be interested in how to become a Harvest Host location!
The Complete Guide to Become a Harvest Host Location
The Harvest Host membership program is designed for RV travelers with self-contained RVs (meaning they have their own bathrooms and kitchens) to easily find a safe place to park overnight and support a local business at the same time.
So how do you become a Harvest Hosts location? More importantly, is it worth it to become a Host?
And of course, how can you get paid to become a Harvest Host?
Read on for our complete guide on becoming a Host!
What is Harvest Hosts?
Harvest Hosts is a paid RV membership program that allows RVers to stay overnight at participating farms, wineries, and other small business locations for free (Members are encouraged to spend at least $20 at each Host location they stay).
Harvest Host members are provided a directory of Hosts so they can easily find a Harvest Host location near them or the area they are planning to travel to or camp in their RV.
How Does Being a Harvest Host Location Benefit My Business?
A major benefit to becoming a Harvest Host is the unique and FREE marketing it provides for your small business.
When you become a Harvest Host you’ll get the opportunity to promote and market your business locally and nationally for FREE to highly desirable customers.
Members visiting Harvest Hosts locations view them as tourist destinations! They look forward to spending a few dollars to buy bottles of wine, order dinner, tour your attraction, have their tow vehicle detailed, or try out your emu oil!
Members spend millions of dollars each year while visiting Harvest Hosts Host locations.
Becoming a Harvest Host is the completely free way to attract new customers and increase your bottom line.
Why Would an RVer Want to Stay at My Harvest Host Location?
There are several reasons why an RVer might want to stay at a business that has become a Harvest Host location.
For one, it’s a great way to save money on RV sites. Rather than paying for a campsite, members of Harvest Hosts schedule free one-night stays at a participating Harvest Host location.
Another reason is that it’s a great way to meet new people and learn about new places. Many Harvest Hosts locations
provide free or paid tours of their farm, winery, etc. (As a Host you are not required to provide tours or even meet with your Harvest Host guests. Being able to do so will lead a positive impression on your guests making them more likely to spread the word about your venue!)
Finally, staying at a Harvest Host location is a great way for RVers to support local businesses. Many RVers enjoy supporting their local community and the communities they are visiting when traveling on the road in their RV.
Types of Businesses Usually Accepted to Become a Harvest Host Location
The following types of businesses are typically accepted into the Host location program and do really well!
If your type of business is any of the following, you may be eligible to join the Host Location program for free.
The Harvest Hosts program has been very successful with hundreds of golf courses joining. The program is popular with RVers who are retirees because golf is a relaxing but skillful sport.
Wineries & Vineyards
For many people who travel in RVs, visiting wineries is a great way to learn about how wine is made and see the process in action. If you add a refreshing glass of wine to that experience, it makes for a perfect end to a long day on the road.
Breweries & Distilleries
Tours of breweries and distilleries can be a great way to unwind after a long day. These businesses often have a more fun and lively atmosphere, which helps them attract repeat customers.
Plant & Animal Farms
Farms are a great destination for RVers who want to get to know the local produce and enjoy fresh air and wide open spaces. Families can see the farm animals and grown-ups can eat the food.
Museums & Attractions
RVers often spend time looking at their surroundings, including the pavement, grass, rocks, and sky. It’s a great way to enjoy the present. However, museums and attractions can also be great places to get in touch with the past and future. Whether it’s paintings, sculptures, or ancient tools and weapons, these establishments can be wonderful for stirring up the dreamer inside each of us.
How Do I Sign-up to Become a Harvest Host Location?
In order to apply to become a Harvest Host location your business simply follow the steps below:
- Apply to Become a Harvest Host. Click this link to open the Host application form. The form is quick to fill out and there are no strings attached to becoming a Host. Simply submit the requested information to get started!
- Harvest Hosts Processes your Application. Once you submit your request to be a Host, Harvest Hosts will email you to let you know they received your application. Once it’s received, Harvest Hosts will review the information you submitted on your application, complete a simple background check, and decide if your business is a good fit to become location for Harvest Hosts. You should expect the process to take about a week from start to finish.
- Complete Information Page to Become a Harvest Host. After you are accepted into the program, you’ll gain access to your Host Information Page. This page acts like a business listing in the Host Directory where you’ll share photos and provide information about your business, products, services, hours, etc. to get Members excited about visiting your location.
Once you’ve completed your Harvest Host listing, it will be public, and you will have become an official Harvest Host location. Now, all you have to do is keep an eye out for Harvest Host emails from Members requesting to stay overnight.
Then enjoy the additional revenue this free marketing strategy brings your business when you become a Harvest Host!
Am I Paid to Become a Harvest Host Location?
No, you are not paid to become a Harvest Host location. However, as a host, you receive many benefits, including a free Harvest Hosts membership (valued at $99/year – but check the Harvest Host website for current pricing), discounts on products and services, and of course, the satisfaction of knowing you are providing a much-needed service to traveling RVers! Learn more and apply here. It’s free to join and be a Host!
Tips for Becoming a Successful Harvest Host Location
Harvest Host Location Responsibilities
The main responsibility of a Host is to reserve members the right to one overnight stay without charging camping fees or having a minimum purchase amount.
Harvest Host Location Requirements
In order to become an official Harvest Host, your small business must have the following:
- Business license & insurance. Self-explanatory but Harvest Hosts need to ensure your business is being operated legally and is insured.
- Products or services to sell. Members do not pay to stay on your property, so you benefit from hosting RVers by offering products or services that they can buy.
- Online presence. This will help members learn more about your location and make them much more likely to visit. An online presence for your business could be a website or the social media accounts you use for the business.
- RV parking & accessibility. The RV space you offer will need to be able to be accessible and fit at least one RV. You must provide a level parking place that allows RVs to turn around safely without height restrictions such as gates or low hanging branches. However, the RV parking space may be gravel, grass, or paved.
- Employee awareness. Once you become a Host, your employees should be informed about the Harvest Host program and what it means for Harvest member guests. Such as where to direct Members to park, store hours, what services provided, etc.
Hosts are not required to provide electricity, water, sewage dump, or wi-fi to guests. Providing these services will definitely leave a better impression on the guest, but the Host is free to decide whether to provide them or not.
How Easy It Is to Become a Harvest Host Location
Becoming a Harvest Host location is a great way to offer a safe place to stay for RVers while also bringing in extra income for your business. It’s a win-win situation!
As a Harvest Host location, you get to welcome traveling Harvest Host members onto your property for one night of RV camping, promote your local business for free, and make some really great memories with new RV friends.
If you have some extra space and are interested in becoming a host, be sure to check out the Harvest Hosts website for more information on how to become a Harvest Host location.
It is easy to become a Harvest Host location. All you need is a little bit of land, things to sell, and a willingness to share your business with RV campers.
If you have all of those things, then you can sign up to be a Host and start welcoming guests from USA to Canada!
Let us know below if you have any questions about becoming a Harvest Host or what your experience has been as a Host!